DTPlug is an extension box for DomoTab intended to provide a bridge between the tablet versions and wired networks.
Originally planned as a simple extension card to be integrated in the tablet’s power supply, we finally decided to make DTPlug a stand alone product. Like DomoTab, this is a modular product that can be used independently, uses the same module format and an ARM Cortex-M3 micro-controller,NXP‘s LPC1764.
While the LPC1764 doesn’t have a lot of memory (128KB of flash memory, 32KB of SRAM), it has enough to control an IP stack (such as lwip), a mini OS (such as CoOS) and all connected modules.
On top of its Ethernet 10/100 Mbps, USB Device port and SD card slot (to store temperature readings or read configuration data for instance), DTPlug has 4 UEXT extension ports (two of which have extra GPIOs) and a PLC port (power line communication).
In order to fulfil its primary function (power or recharge the DomoTab tablet), DTPlug includes a MeanWell EPS-35-5 Power supply which can provide 30W of useful load, shared between the USB charge sockets. When used with our custom USB charge cable, DTPlug can provide up to 5A of charging current, as defined by USB Battery Charging Specifications (be aware that D+ and D- signals aren’t connected on those two ports).
DTPlug’s technical data:
Controller board hardware:
Micro-controller: NXP’s LPC1764
- ARM Cortex-M3 core
- Core freq: 100MHz
- Flash: 128Ko integrated and fully onboard programmable
- SRAM: 32Ko
- Ethernet MAC
- USB gadget 2.0 full-speed (device) only
- UART, SPI, I²C, GPIO, ADC, PWM, …
Interfaces and Features :
- Cortex-M3 nicro-controller running at 100MHz, 32Ko of SRAM, 128Ko of fully onboard programmable Flash (through UART0, need UART-to-USB adapter on board version 1.1).
- 12 MHz main Osc. + 32.768 kHz RTC Osc.
- Ethernet RJ45 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX port using SMSC’s LAN8720A ethernet transceiver.
- USB gadget 2.0 full-speed port on micro-AB connector.
- SD card socket.
- Reset and ISP buttons, programming header on 2.54mm pins.
- Two USB charging ports (power only, no data), type A connector, 30W available, requires provided USB cable.
- 4 internal UEXT connectors (specified by Olimex) to add modules for home automation, including two with 5 GPIO + 5V power extension.
- 1 internal “CPL” connector to add CPL specific modules.
- ARM JTAG 20pins and GPIO extension (not populated).
- Robust plastic case, easy to open.
- 110-230V 50-60Hz IEC320C7 power input (euro-connector)
- Power switch
- MeanWell EPS-35-5 power supply, 5V – 30W.
- 4 openings with blinds for home automation modules connectors.
- Controller board PCB (excluding connectors) (l x L x H) : 65mm x 118mm
- Populated controller board (l x L x H) : 68mm x 121mm x 25mm
- Box (including connectors and switch) (l x L x H) : 78mm x 124mm x 70mm
- Full version: 280g
- Controller board: 50g
- Box (3D printing) : 125g
- Box (injection) : 110g
- Power supply + internal cables: 105g
You’ll find on this page all the DTPlug related documents. You can download and use them as long as you abide by the license they’re under.
All of the hardware created by Techno-Innov for DTPlug is under Creative Commons CC BY-NC-SA Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. For software, check the licensing of each element.
Make sure you understand the implications of this License as outlined in: What does that license entail?
CAD Files for the box:
- 3D Printing version: bottom and top.These aren’t the final files, which include clearances for the release from the mold after plastic injection, but the last version used for 3D printing on an Ultimaker 3D printer at the Fabrique d’Objets Libres (Free objects manufacture), Lyon’s FAB-Lab.
- The final version will be available as soon as we’ve validated the mold.
- Schematics for DTPlug’s controller board (currently produced version is v1.1) provided as an archive with all files, including the components libraries. You’ll find the schematics in KiCad native format and the placement/routing file (also in KiCad native format).
- DTPlug BOM v1.1
- Technical manual for DTPlug is not yet available
- Technical data for the main components (NXp’s LPC1764 de NXP, Ethernet PHY, ….) is available in this repository. Be aware that more up to date versions may be available on the manufacturers’ websites.
Available on the “Software” page.
The cooperative company Techno-Innov is an eager supporter of free software and applies this principle to its products whenever possible (a SCOP is a company and needs income to pay its employees).
All Techno-Innov created elements for DTPlug are under Creative Commons CC BY-NC-SA Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License.
What does that license entail?
- Any physical person can use the plans, schematics and any other technical data we publish to create their own DTPlug.
- Any physical person who wishes to may modify our plans and schematics to create a modified DTPlug for their personal use.
- Any physical or moral person who wishes to publish plans, schematics or any other technical data pertaining to DTPlug, in their original or modified version, must do so under our chosen license (CC BY-NC-SA) and name the original author: the Techno-Innov cooperative company.
- Producing DTPlugs, completely or partially, and selling them without our authorisation is forbidden, even with a simple compensation or share of production costs, whether or not profit is made.
- You are not allowed to produce DTPlugs for commercial use even if you don’t sell them.
- These restrictions also apply to modified version, whoever their author may be.
In order to boost the diffusion of DTPlug, we allow DTPlugs purchased from Techno-Innov to be resold, modified or not, at the seller’s entire responsibility.
This exclusion is intended to allow installers to make commercial use of DTPlugs they have purchased from us.