26 challengers participated to the soldering contest which took place during the Lyon Mini Maker Faire 2016.
They used 8 to 50 minutes to get a Starter Kit up and running from the PCB and parts !
The winner did it in 8 minutes and 16 seconds (35 seconds quicker than me!!!) ! Spectacular ! He won an USB-to-UART Adapter with which he will be able to easily program the micro-controller on the StarterKit, and communicate with his next Maker projects :)
We didn’t have time to take photos, but you can tweet yours @TechnoInnov (#MFLyon) :)
For those interrested in programming the micro-contrôleur, you can reffer to the paper from Cyprien Laplace published in Open Silicium n°17 : “Utilisation du SDK Mbed sur un tout petit micro-contrôleur LPC810″ (pages 60 to 63, in french). This will get you on tracks and you’ll be able to re-use your Starter Kit in your next Maker project !
Thanks for your participation, and well done to those who gave it a try :)
The strange red coating is an isolating warnish, which I thought I ordered the transparent version … obviously it’s not.
Anyway, this highlights ths result of the first connexion to mains : a bright flash !
Of course, you only get the calcinated result …
The next four pictures show the first CPL communication tests (Power line communication) which let us validate the USB version of this new communication module, and the remaining part of the PSMC (Power Supply Monitor & Control) adapter board (the one which did not burn).
And the ones are mechanical tests for the CPL module in DTPlug format (UEXT connector).
A small post to give you some information, but also to publish an idea, in order to protect it in the easiest possible way (So please, tweet, share, and forward this !).
We are working on a new module for the DomoTab system, which is not a communication module, but a control module. This new module is able to control a load (one or more devices) and at the same time measure the current used by this load.
This control module requires a communication module to operate, and thus uses the connector we defined for our communication modules.
The solution we selected to drive the load allows for both usual AC loads and also DC loads. It is also possible to modulate the power for the loads which may be controlled in this way (water heater for example).
When used with specific sensors, (temperature, humidity, …) you will be able to match power usage with local power production (solar, wind, …) or specific time frames (for noise reduction or electricity costs), while observing one or more thresholds for each operating equipment (maximum temperature for a fridge, minimum temperature for a water heater or a room, room humidity, ….).
This system will also allow you to plan or shift the power usage of some appliances across the day or (even days) depending on planned local power production or electricity costs, either using local data (luminosity or wind sensors, manual or automated programs, …), historical power production data, or external data (weather forecast, planned electricity costs, …), or even all of these data.
We will provide more information as soon as the first prototypes have been produced, which is expected soon :)
There also has been a lot of work on the module code, with new examples, a new directory structure to get all modules in the same GIT repository, but also a first commit of the DTPlug code, and some work on the protocol to comunicate between the DTPlug (or any other host) and the modules, which is already available in the modules GIT repository :)
And last, the tests of the KNX module are going on, we will post some more informations on these later.
Both images or in the micro-controller flash memory, and the text is displayed when it is received on the serial line (USB-to-UART). Pressing the user button switches the images and then restores the display of the text.
Text display is made using partial screen refresh.
One more step toward our multifunction “smart” control :)